Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Gingerbread Hijinks!

We had Snow Day #2 today.  PTL.  I had an awful case of the Mondays yesterday and really needed a random day off to get myself together. 

While I love looking at the pretty snowflakes falling, actually going out in the frigid weather is a whole 'nother story.  So, I tried to occupy Becks with some indoor fun this morning :)

First up, reading through most of our recent Scholastic order.  I think I get more excited than he does when they come home.  PS.  This is only a sampling of what I ordered.  I get a little spend-happy over new books!

Next up, a little Christmasy sight word book action.  


Then, onto baking homemade gingerbread cookies!  

What's a batch of gingerbread cookies without a little sneaky gingerbread action?!  Our elf named "Frick" by Becks (short for Frickafree), also disappeared along with the gingerbread man cookie we crafted.  In place of the cookie, we found a note and a clue!  Stop. The. World.  

After finding clues throughout the house, we pieced them into a sentence. 

And, would you believe it?! Those cookies were in our closet!  Crazytown.  

Now, what to do with the rest of our afternoon?!  

PS.  You can find the sight word book (and two more), plus the Gingerbread Hijinks in my Christmas packs!



Did you get snow?!  More importantly, a SNOW DAY?! 

#countingdownthedays #needtwostraightweeksoff

11 comments:

Teacher and Life Long Learner said...

Your blog never lets us down! I thought indoor recess for two days was rough...but no school...ughh. Smiles and stop by anytime!

Eliza Jane said...

I love the gingerbread hunt! What a great idea! Christmas in Australia is really weird - at least for an import like me! I actually miss the snow and the cold!

Stephanie S said...

I've been a longtime follower of your blog, but this is my first time leaving a comment! I love your gingerbread hijinks activity! So fun! Thanks for being such an inspiring teacher - I just started my own blog (finally) and I hope I can be half as creative with my resources as you are!

Enjoy the snow days and time for fun! :)

Miss S
http://fourthgradeshenanigans.blogspot.com/

Karen Rowland said...

Tomorrow makes snow day number 4 for us! Ugh!!!! We're going crazy!
Karen Rowland
Adventures With Firsties

karenrowland112677@yahoo.com

debbie said...

Love this activity. It is just the perfect kind of activity to help struggling readers catch the reading bug.

debbie said...

I left a previous message saying how much I love the gingerbread activity you did with your son. I am wondering if it would be possible to just purchase that part of your A Very Kinder Christmas. Thanks!

Wendy said...

What a way to teach a child to love literacy and the purpose for it ! Becks must have loved the one on one time with you ! The unit is so cute !

Stephanie Ann at Sparkling in Kindergarten said...

Just wanted to comment what a great mom you are...Becks is a lucky boy :)

Stephanie Ann
Sparkling in Kindergarten

Kathleen Coker said...

I love your Gingerbread unit idea! We read about The Gingerbread Girl today and the kids thought her tricks were so funny! They would love a little mystery activity like this! Love all of your great ideas!

Katy said...

I love it! This is perfect for at home AND in the classroom :) Thanks for being not just creative, but sharing your talents.

~Katy
www.theposhpaperclip.blogspot.com

Courtney said...

I love your blog! I secretly LOVE LOVE scholastic orders too! I wish you a Merry Merry Christmas!
xo Courtney
ramonarecommends.blogspot.com