Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Interactive Vocabulary Notebooks!

So, I *love* words.  I mean, I LOVE them.  I love reading them, I love writing them, and I love to learn new ones.  This became very apparent to me when I was preparing for my presentation and I realized how often I referenced adjectives ;)  I think I can attribute my love of words to my fourth grade teacher, who had us keep our own thesaurus throughout the school year.  Fun times.  

I think that vocabulary development starting at a young age is extremely important for communication and comprehension.  I also think it's really boring to just, you know, write words and their definitions and then move on.  I wanted to make vocabulary instruction engaging and interactive.  Hence, the creation of the Interactive Vocabulary Notebook.  





I wanted to make this resource as comprehensive and detailed as possible.  So, it includes a whole heckuva lot of goodies!  Inside, you will find teaching ideas, suggestions for use, printable resources, 20 different activities for incorporating vocabulary into your classroom, ideas for organization, and lots and lots of pictures!  

All 20 activities start out with an Activity Poster that can be reproduced for your classroom, shown on an interactive whiteboard, or replicated on a whole group chart.  Because you have to start somewhere, this is the most basic activity: defining the word.  Don't worry!  The other activities are far more engaging!


There are several options for how you can implement the activity in your classroom - notebook, chart paper, printable, or using the cut-outs to enhance your notebook or chart.  


 The actual resource includes larger pictures and annotated pages, so you can see everything up close along with teaching ideas and notes from me.  

 Each activity has a corresponding printable in the event that you opt for a binder instead of a notebook.



Here's a sample of the cut-outs you can use to enhance the notebooks and make them a bit more engaging for students...

Here are some of the other activities, including: Express Yourself, Call Me, Maybe? and Alliteration.  My *fav* would have to be Insta-word (not pictured).   Your older kiddos will LOVE it!



 Oh, yeah, did I mention that this is adaptable for grades K-6?!  And, they're totally CCSS-aligned, considering that Vocabulary Acquisition and Use is found under the Language Strand of ELA.  Yay!

For K-1 kiddos, I recommended a whole group Interactive Vocabulary Notebook that is completed with teacher-support on a large chart paper tablet.  Here's an example...


For more independent students, you can either use the cheapest option (a spiral-bound notebook) and replicate the activities within...

Or, you can use the printables and keep everything in a tabbed binder.


Ooooor, you can get fancy-Nancy and do a combo of a notebook AND a binder!  The choice is your's!

So, there you have it!

Oh, good news!  It's on sale through the evening!!!!!!!

Go check it out {HERE}.

Tomorrow starts the real back-to-school craziness for me, including Beckham's Kindergarten Open House.  I die.  Pray for me!

Have a great day!!!!!!

18 comments:

Erica said...

This looks amazing! Wishlisted!

Erica

Christie Neise said...

I had to pin that anchor chart!

Amy J said...

Love this! I have been looking for an organized way to keep up with vocabulary instruction...especially to enrich my higher first graders. Leave it to you to create the perfect way!

Thanks, Abby!
Amy
What Happens in First Grade

The Polished Teacher said...

Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow with Beckham's open house!

The Polished Teacher

heather said...

I always love your teaching ideas/products! Quick question though, I teach EC in a resource setting (elem school)..do you think the activities would work in this setting?? Thanks!

Jamie knefely said...

This looks really awesome. I will have to check it out!

Jamie

Gladys said...

Wow, Abby!! This looks amazing! ;) Good luck with the b2s craze!

Courtney Bartlett said...

Wow! I'm in love with this pack. I also love the design style you used for it with the bright colors and professional look. Good luck tomorrow!

Swimming into Second

Mrs. Brooks said...

This looks great; the majority of children in my school do not speak English at home and vocabulary development is huge in terms of their beginning reading and writing skills.

Best of luck with your son's K open house! My little one was in K this past year and I felt the same way. Now I think I am even more crazed as she heads into the grade I teach (1st) even though we're not in the same school or even district!

Lindsey at Forever First Grade

Samantha Kearns said...

LOVE this idea!! Walmart has an amazing teacher section right now so I'm gonna go buy that spiral chart paper to do the whole class interactive vocab notebook with my firsties! Thank you!!!

Mrs. Shores said...

I'm a new teacher and this is going to be amazing!! Thank you so much!!

Ashlie said...

Just bought it! I LOVE it, great job!

The Wild Rumpus said...

I LOVE these. Thank you!

Third Grade Cupcakes said...

Love it! Wishlisted and excited!

First Grade Funtastic said...

This looks amazing! I just put it on my wish list! Good luck with school! :)
Sara
First Grade Funtastic

Jess said...

Just put this on my wish list this will probably be great idea for my enrichment time! Thanks! Good luck with Kinder meet the teacher!
Rambling About Reading

Craft Addict said...

I just bought this product, and it looks great! I do have a question though. Do you have a new word that you introduce everyday where you have them write in their notebooks?

T Bell said...

Just discovered this from a link via Amy Lemons. Love it! So going to use it in our homeschool activities.
Thank you!!