Thursday, February 21, 2013

ROFL! LOL!


I totally forgot to add this pic to my Wizard of Oz post yesterday...


Becks is reading one of *the best* Wizard of Oz adaptations with pop-ups by Robert Sabuda.  This illustrations and pop-ups are so intricate and incredible!  The original story is still told by L. Frank Baum, but this book just takes it too a whole other level.  Your kids will love it!

Anyway, back to my ROFL! LOL! title.  

I am doing a little research on funny read-alouds.  And, I'm talking hilarious-make-them-laugh-out-loud books.  Books that both boys and girls will enjoy.  Becks and I have happened upon several, and I've pulled out a few from my classroom library.  

Here's what make us ROFL...


Walter the Farting Dog is hilarious.  Probably because it says fart and rectal flatulence like no big deal. I will be completely honest here and say that the first time I read it - before Becks was even born - I was crying I was laughing so hard.  Here's an excerpt...

Walter wanted to stop [the burglars] but he was having unbearable gas pains.  He rolled on his back, and waved his paws in the air.  He gnashed his teeth...That's when Walter let it fly.  It was the worst fart of his life.

I apologize now if we don't share the same humor :P



I adore ALL books by Jan Thomas, but Can YOU Make a Scary Face? definitely gets giggles.  I tested  it out on some kindergarteners the other day, and I had to remind them to turn down their giggles a bit.  


Once Upon a Royal Superbaby is pretty funny, too.  It tells a shared story between a boy and girl classmate and how they tell the same story differently.  {PS.  This is a great book for your reluctant male readers!}  It also ends with a stinky diaper - Becks' favorite part.


Mo Willems has some super stories, but Becks and I have been cracking up over Elephant and Piggie lately.  Such a funny duo!  The stories are so simple and there is a lot of repetition and sight words.  A perfect funny choice for your K-1 babies.

So, back to my research question for y'all: what are some tried and true funny read-alouds that you and/or your kiddos adore? 

27 comments :

miss m said...

OH MY GOSH! One of my FAVORITE stories is Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude! I had no idea there was another story! Have you read "Motorcycle Dude"? HILARIOUS! Thanks for the share!

Ms. Lium said...

My 2nd graders giggle for Aliens Love Underpants by Claire Freedman and I Have to Go by Robert Munsch...pretty much all Munsch books are hilarious, but that one takes the cake every year :)

SheaVH said...

My kiddos LOVE all books Mo Willems, but my personal favorite is Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo. It's very sarcastic and just hilarious, probably more so for me than my first graders. They also love Chicken Big by Keith Graves, it's about some crazy chickens. Hope this helps, and thanks for the share! I look forward to your posts.

Michelle b said...

I discovered Mail Harry to the Moon when I was searching for personal narrative mentor texts. The kids love it and can relate!

Miss Foote said...

Interrupting Chickens and Halloweiner are pretty funny.

Ginger Snaps said...

My kids love Walter the Farting Dog books! We have several in our classroom library!

Ginger Snaps said...

Oh My students also love Bear in Underwear! Huh-larious!

Lori said...

These are great book picks! Who can resist anything by Mo Willems?
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

"Sam's Sandwich" is the BEST read aloud EVER (by David Pelham).
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

Stacy Renee said...

Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas is great! My daughter also loves My Daddy Snores by Nancy H. Rothstein. I think that one is extra funny to her because her Daddy really does snore. LOL!

Stacy
Live Love Laugh and Teach!

Courtney said...

One of my favorite funny books is "Lulu and the Brontosaurua." It's so funny because Lulu is a huge brat and she gets herself into trouble because of it. The author's writing style makes it even better. You should get it out.

Swimming into Second

The Cozy Classroom said...

"Bad Kitty" by Nick Bruel is also hilarious! Cracks me up every time :)

Mr. Jimmy said...

SInce we're sharing children's books, may I also share a title? It's called Tadpole's Promise by Jeanne WIllis and Tony Ross. Not LOL funny, but very amusing, ironically I think more so for adults. Have a look! It's a recent TREASURE I discovered through another friend.

Jill Sloothaak said...

My students LOVE "Peanut Butter Rhino" by Vincent Andriani. Great voices and expression are a MUST while reading this story! :)

Jill
abcs and polkadots

Kelly said...

My kids LOVE Robert Munsch, especiallt "Stephanie's Ponytail, "Pigs" and "David's Father".
Kelly
I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

Amanda said...

All Mo Willems books are really funny. The kids love them. We are doing a Robert Munsch study right now and his books are hilarious! If you listen to him read his stories, he's super entertaining. Most of them are available on his website.

Another one that always makes my mom (also a teacher) and I giggle is "Hiccupotamus" by Aaron Zenz. Super cute!

Amanda
First Grade Garden

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

We are currently OBSESSED with Froggy. I also love Chester by Melanie Watt. Cracks me up!

Gesin's Gallery said...

My students love Robert Munsch and the Scardey Squirrel books!

Christy said...

My Littles and I love "Sophie Peterman Tells the Truth." It's a big sister viewpoint about babies. Total. Riot!!!

~Christy
Mrs. Holder's First Grade

Sue Cahalane said...

My kids love any of The Dumb Bunnies books by Sue Denim - ROFL when we read those!! I'm writing down all the other suggestions, I'm always looking for funny kid books!
✿Sue
Science for Kids Blog

Leann said...

My kids LLOOOVVEEE I Have To Go by Robert Munsch! They think it is just hilarious! Sometimes they ask to watch it over and over and they LOL SO much! =)

Leann
http://teachingcaribbeanstyle.blogspot.com/

Cori Blubaugh said...

My current class is also obsessed with Rhyming Dust Bunnies, and the Interrupting Chicken. Froggy visits the Doctor always cracks them up as well when he forgets to put on underwear and his mom has to make him some paper ones : )

Maria Eshman said...

I have to agree with the Robert Munsch stories. I also love that you can hear him read these stories online with NO pics. Let's the kiddos use their imaginations.
We are finishing up our Mo Willems author study. I L.O.V.E. There is a Bird on Your Head!!!!! A fave of my girls too!

Maria

Jamie Herrera said...

Skippyjon Jones never fails to make my kiddos chuckle, especially when I read in my best Mexican accent.

mrsseiber said...

We just read The Sideways Stories from Wayside School collection (3). They are hilarious. My third graders loved them!
Amy

Wife of the Prez said...

I need to see if our library has that Walter book. OK, I admit it. We say fart in our house. What can I say? With 4 sons (and a DH who tries to out-fart them), there is a lot of noise-making here. :) Thanks for sharing some book reading ideas.