Sunday, February 10, 2013

Owl Always Love You!

So, I ordered Becks this darling owl hanger for his bedroom back in December.  I love the vivid colors and textured look - perfect for adding a little pizazz to his bedroom walls.  


{You can get your own owl at Darlybird!} 

The more I looked at it, the more I thought, That would soooooo be a fun paper project!  Even better?  A fun Valentine Day paper project!

Start by cutting out several random hearts out - probably 2-3 inches in length.  



Then, layer the hearts in a circular pattern.



Next, add some eyes, a beak, and some little legs.  Voila!  Becks was my little handwriting helper.  It's such a fun mommy/teacher moment to see how far his writing has come in a year!  {Of course, I helped him spell :) }




Get it?!  Get it?!  "Owl Always Love You!"  I'm so punny ;)

If you're looking for another fun Valentine Day activity to do in your classroom, here's another one I did last year with my firsties.  It's a freebie and you can read more about it HERE.  


And, of course, there's The Sweetheart Snatcher!  We had so much fun searching for him last year...especially after the Candy Corn Bandit came around Halloween!  You can read about our adventure from last year HERE.  



We also worked on We Love Math Centers!  Eight math centers aligned to the common core and perfect for this time of year :)


 Did you make it all the way down here!  Shoo!

Well, good news!  My Valentine's Day goodies are 50% off until Monday!  Click on the links below to check them out!




Have a happy Sunday, all!!!!!


24 comments:

Across the Hall said...

Love that fabric owl!!! So unique!!

The valentine paper owl is pretty cute too!

Thanks for the idea, Abby!

Halle
Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

Eclectic Educating said...

I love that Sweetheart Snatcher activity! Makes me wish I had a classroom! The Valentine's card turned out adorable!

Amy
Eclectic Educating

Amy J said...

How stinkin' cute is that owl (both of them!. Thanks for the idea! I just did your snowy day inference project and the kids LOVED it. I think sweetheart snatcher needs to be snatched up next. Thanks for being fabulous, Abby!

Amy
What Happens in First Grade

Mrs Cupcake said...

The owl project is adorable! :)
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Primary Paradise said...

Sooo cute. Love both of the owls. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
Tammy
Primary Paradise

Rachel Lamb said...

we so enjoyed making the mustache pictures last year! I snatching up the sweetheart snatcher. Thanks for the sale!
Rachel

Mrs. Lynes said...

The owls are so cute!!!

Andrea M. said...

That Valentine owl is an awesome idea! I see lots of paper hearts in my future this week!

Andrea M.
I Heart Kindergarten

Ashley said...

Abby you just make my heart SMILE!!! I feel so blessed to have such wonderful and creative teachers in my blogging life. My kids loved your Candy Corn Bandit and I know they will love this too. Happy Valentines Day!!!

Kristen said...

those owls are so sweet! I've always loved your Sweetheart Snatcher unit...I wish I could use it in grade 5!!!

A. Monroe said...

The owl hanging and the inspired project are really cute. I'm hosting a little Valentine's Day get together for some of my 5 year old daughter's friends. I wasn't sure what craft they would make, now I think I have it.
Thanks so much

schoolisahappyplace.blogspot.com

A Kindergarten Life For Me said...

You always have the best ideas! I just grabbed *the sweetheart snatcher* and I can't wait to try it. My little ones are going to love this! Thank you!!

Traci - Dragonflies in First said...

Your - Beck's - owl project turned about absolutely adorable! Super sweet.
❤DragonfliesinFirst ❤

Anonymous said...

Oh no...I missed it! I thought they were on sale today too:[

Mrs. G said...

I purchased you "Sweetheart Snatcher" last year and my kiddos LOVED it! It is in my plans for Thursday! I can't wait!!!!!

Karen Rowland said...

I gave you a little shout-out today! Check it out!

Karen Rowland
Adventures With Firsties

karenrowland112677@yahoo.com

Have a great week!

Karlie said...

I LOVE the craft and the original inspiration!! I'm pinning this to my OWL board on Pinterest:-D

We are ALL Special!

Julie Marciniak said...

What a fabulous OWL! Thanks so much for the DarlyBird reference! Have a very Happy Valentine's Day with all your sweeties!
Julie
Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe
Join my 100 Follower Ultimate Giveaway: Skype Author Visit!

CarrberryCreations said...

I love the little heart owl idea!!!!!! Super cute I know what I'm doing with my children for their Daddy for Valentine's Day. Thank you for the idea!

Mrs. McHaffie said...

I bragged about you on my post today! :)
You are just so dang inspiring!

:)
Kelly

http://mchaffiek.blogspot.com/2013/02/sweetheart-snatcher-sale.html

RealOCteachers said...

The owl is really cool and I love the owl valentines as well. Have a happy Valentine's day!



The REAL Teachers of Orange County

Michaela said...

I love all things OWL!! So creative to take your original Owl and make it into a craft. :) Hope your Valentine's Day is a HOOT! :)

mkoedding said...

I used your Sweetheart Snatcher activity in my classroom today and OMG!!! This was the most fun we have EVER had. I got the principal and our PE teacher along with several other staff members in on it. They all took turns eating sweethearts in front of the kids so they kept guessing who it might be!!! I just have to say Thank YOU from the bottom of my heart for making VAlentines Day so much fun this year. Can't wait to try out the Candy Corn Bandit next October:)

Diana said...

Thank you for the adorable Moustache idea! My class made them on Thursday and they were a big hit!