Monday, January 21, 2013

Teaching Beginning Blends!

So, two weeks ago I was so busy I couldn’t see straight.  Last week was supposed to be my catch-up week.  Well, I caught something.  THE FLU.  Omiword, it was awful.  I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.  I started coughing randomly on Tuesday night and just broke free of my fever today.  I missed Wednesday through Friday of school and totally didn’t get to enjoy my long weekend.  Sadsville :(

* * * * * * * *

So, yes, I love my new job.  But, there’s a LOT that I miss about being a classroom teacher.  After several requests for a blends resource, I decided to approach this post as if I were teaching a classroom of firsties again!  Yay! 

First off, let’s start with a whole group mini-lesson about blends…

029

Now, let’s read a fun story - like Crictor by Tomi Ungerer.  Crictor is a French snake, so obviously he’s perfect for helping teach blends!  However, blends are in all books, so go with what you have!  While we’re reading, we’ll talk about and listen for words with beginning blends…

Crictor

Then, I will have pre-made posters that only have a beginning blend written in the center of them.  I will partner students up, so that 2-3 students were working on each poster.  They would add pictures and/or words that began with the blend.  After coming up with all the words/pictures that they could, they would trade with another group and add to other posters.  This activity would take 10-15 minutes depending on student interest.  Here is a sample I would show the kiddos…

032

Then, it’s time to practice identifying, reading, and writing blends! Because I’m planning to add this to a center, I would teach some of the activities whole group – Highlight-a-Word and Spot-the-Sillies.  Students will highlight words with a specific blend in the first activity, and spot “silly” words (nonsense words) wearing silly glasses, of course!  Thanks to my trusy assistant, Beckham, for demonstrating ;)

031       030

During word work at a literacy center, I would assign a Blends Book activity.  Now, I realize that beginning blends (double consonant) are primarily taught in the first half of first grade, but you could always incorporate them as a review during word work or center time.  Nothing wrong with a little review!  Here’s a little glimpse of what the Blend Books resource pack entails…

BlendBooksPREVIEW

Slide2Slide3Slide4Slide5Slide6Slide7

For a more detailed explanation, check out the description in my TpT shop

Yay!  That was fun!  Happy to get it out of my syster! I hope you got to enjoy your long weekend.  I’m praying for a little snow on Friday, so that I can enjoy one soon!  Ha!  Have a great week :)

31 comments :

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

Love it! I have a set of bland mats in my TPT shop (not that you need any ides) but they are great for intervention because it is repetitive and easy for them once they get he hang of it =)
Glad you are feeling better and your boy is such a cutie, I've enjoyed watching him grow up on your blog posts!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Bridget S said...

I'm so sorry you got the flu! I love how you are using a picture book in your lesson! I am always trying to find new picture books! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Bridget
Literacy Without Worksheets

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

This looks wonderful! What great ideas!
Yolanda
Oceans of First Grade Fun

Mrs. Sheehan said...

You have great suggestions for teaching blends! I am pinning the anchor chart :)
I hope you are feeling better!
Maribel
Learning In Wonderland

Evan McFatridge said...

This is fabulous! I'm a brand spankin new Year 1 teacher and I begin next week (live in Australia). This is going to definitely come in handy. Thanks Abby, I'm a huge fan of all your work!

Stacy Johnson said...

My kids got the plague too. I had 13 of 22 out most of the week last week.
I didn't get it but had pneumonia over Christmas:(...hope you feel better soon!

Stacy
www.mrsjohnsonsfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Jane said...

I have always LOVED your anchor charts! As I was making my one today in my room, I thought "I wish I could make this more artsy like the ones I see on blogs". :) I also really like how you include a photo on the supplies page.

Hope you'll come check out the little give-a-way I'm having this week.
Jane
Learning in the Little Apple

Johanna Tackitt said...

Awesome! I am grabbing myself a copy!

☏Johanna
First Grade Fanatic!

Johanna Tackitt said...

Awesome! I am grabbing myself a copy!

☏Johanna
First Grade Fanatic!

Stef (Miss Galvin Learns) said...

Sorry to hear you had the flu - hope you're feeling better now!

Love your consonant blends pack and suggestions for teaching them. Here in Australia we're about to start our new school year and I look forward to using these with my Grade 1 students!

Stef

Lindsey (The Teacher Wife) said...

Abby, this looks adorable and I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!!! LOVE!

Lauren said...

I was a 1st grade teacher and recently got moved to k-Special Education. I miss being in a classroom full time too! :)

Mrs Cupcake said...

This looks awesome, Abby!!
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

Oh my, did I put "bland" mats instead of "blend"...AND "he" instead of "the"?? That's what I get for typing quickly while my three year old crawled all over me! I am such a dork! I promise, they are NOT bland!! haha
(so embarrassed!!)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness your handwriting is amazing! You should make it a font..just saying! :) Totally added this resource pack to my evergrowing wishlist. Thanks for creating and sharing this with us!

Recess and Beyond

Ashley said...

I just posted today on blends too! I'm actually taking a week off of our basal program, just to go back and re-visit all of the beginning and ending blends as well as word families. Your packet looks great though! Can't wait to start making my own anchor charts! I just made a simple little Blender BINGO game and I was impressed with myself. Now, I'm officially awestruck. :)

Ashley
freefallinintofirst

Ashley said...

Holy smokes! You never cease to amaze me. I was working on stuff for blends today, too! I'm actually going to keep our basal program closed this week and really go back and re-visit blends. I just made a simple Blender BINGO game/freebie and I thought I was something else. Now, I'm awestruck! Awesome job!!!

Ashley :)
Free Fallin Into First

Susie Q said...

You never cease to amaze me, Abby. I have several of your units, and this one is now on my wish list. Thank you for always doing such thorough work.

Learning With Susie Q

susieqsclass@gmail.com

PS - My students love highlighting words!

Angelia said...

Love your anchor charts and examples of how you would teach blends! It's always nice to see how other teachers would teach a skill.

Angelia
Extra Special Teaching

Mrs. Moore said...

I LOVE this, and cannot wait to use it! I have some children that just "get it" and others that have a really hard time hearing the blends. I am excited about trying this out, and I appreciate all the time and energy you put into your units. They are always AWESOME!

-Alexis
http://keepingkindergartensimple.blogspot.com/

Kristen said...

I hope you get your storm on Friday (mine was a total bust---it spun off the coast late last night!!!). You deserve some nice time after all of that sickness.

I always love seeing what you come up with next, especially those GOOOORGEOUS anchor charts :)

Katie Knight said...

Oh my goodness. I love it! I love it! I love it! I "wishlisted" that bad boy, and I going to buy it for next year! Your little guy is sooooo uber cute!

Katie Knight
Teacher to the Core Blog

Diana said...

Wow! This looks great and so cute as well :-)

3rd Grade Shananigans said...

I just want you to know that I love your blog! You're blog inspired me to start my own last summer and I have been learning new things constantly! Thank you for your inspiration! Come check my page out sometime if you ever get time!

Teach With Laughter said...

LOVE!! This will be perfect for the students who can't seem to 'figure it out!'.
Laureen

Kindergarten Goonies said...

Love it! We hope the flu is a thing of the past. For anyone interested in blends and chunks. Stop by www.kindergartengoonies.blogspot.com for a free taste of "FUNKY CHUNKIES". Please look under January or scroll down.

Have a good one!
XOXO The Goonie Gals
www.kindergartengoonies.blogspot.com

Tales of a Teacher Newbie said...

Love these activities!! Definitely going to be using this in my practicum class!! I'm always looking for a way to have students more engaged and motivated to learn, especially in literacy!!

Ms. Richards said...

I love your Highlight-a-Word and Spot the Sillies activities. I have your Long Vowels mega-pack. My students love the Highlight-a-Word! They are always bummed if we don't have time to get to it. Thank you for post this! I can't wait to use it.
Krystyn Richards

Ms. Richards's Musings

msrichardssmusings@gmail.com

A Tale of 2 First Grades said...

Great Unit Abby! I have several kiddos this year that have speech issues and they are still struggling with some of the blends/digraphs. This will be a great resource.

~Alison

Angie said...

I just LOVE your anchor charts! Your blend charts are no exception. My firsties are still struggling a bit with blends, so your Blend Books pack is on my TpT wishlist!


Angie
The First Grade Scoop
I'll be having a 100 follower giveaway - stop by, follow my blog, and get ready for some goodies!

Angie said...

I just L-O-V-E all your anchor charts! You are one creative girl! I have a few firsties who are struggling with blends, so I'm definitely adding this pack to my TpT wishlist!


Angie
The First Grade Scoop
I'll be having a 100 follower giveaway - stop by, follow my blog, and get ready for some goodies!