Sunday, December 30, 2012

New Year’s Resolutions: 2013

I’m a tad behind in joining the party (what’s new?!), but I’m excited to share some of my 2013 resolutions with you.  Though resolutions are usually very difficult to maintain, I’ll now have 5000+ accountability partners!  Ha!  Stay on me!  Plus, starting 2013 off with a list of things to do will help me pass the time while I’m waiting out this adoption process.  Seriously, the wait is EXCRUCIATING!  {Read all about it HERE!}

blessings giveaway

Technology

Resolution: I will learn to make my own clip art!

I’ve been thinking about doing this for awhile.  I mean, I looooooove to doodle. I always have.  There are so many times that I’ve been looking for a very specific graphic and couldn’t find it, and know that I could draw it but have no idea how to convert it to clip art.  Well, this year, I intend to learn.

ResolutionI will no longer be scared of Photoshop

I’ve wanted to learn Photoshop for awhile and what better time than now?  I don’t know why, but it scares me.  All those layers and buttons and words I don’t know.  Plus, I’m pretty sure this will go hand in hand with making my own clip art.

Organization

Resolution:  I will organize and maintain a home office.

We actually just rearranged our home to accommodate a home office.  Here’s what I have so far and it is tres boring.  And not organized at all.  Clean, but not organized.   Those drawers are so full of random it isn’t funny.  Also, there’s a box in the corner (that you can’t see) containing an IKEA  shelving unit that has been there for around 18 months.  Unopened.

IMG_0687[1]

Resolution:  I will keep better records at school and at home.

Going into my new position at the beginning of the year, I really had no idea the amount of data I was going to be required to collect and organize, so I admittedly fell a little behind in keeping everything as organized as I would like. Since Walmart was running a great deal on 1” colored binders the other day, I picked up three so I can organize my data at school better {For the record, I think they were $2.74 a piece. And, they had really fun colors!}   I hope to give y’all a job update sometime soon.  I still looooooooooooooooooove it.  A lot!

At home, I need to organize bills and receipts better.  Right now – don’t laugh – I throw all of our bills and receipts into a cardboard Pirate Booty box that we got at Halloween in 2011!!!   Isn’t that awful?!  I  hate all the papers that we get in the mail and I would rather just throw them away, but then I worry about identity theft or that we might need that one bill for some reason or another.  Regardless, horribly organized and I need to do better!

Professional Growth

Resolution:  I will become more knowledgeable about best practices in reading.

I love to teach reading and early literacy skills, but feel that I could definitely use a better knowledge base for the best practices and research behind getting kids to read.  My school has graciously allowed me to attend an upcoming conference that I will post about after I attend.  I’m soooooo excited to go!  In the meantime, I’d love your recommendation for some literature I could be reading about reading!

Downtime

Resolution:  I know downtime is necessary, but I’m really trying hard not to have any these days!  I’m trying to keep my schedule full and busy so that I have very little time to twiddle my thumbs, hopefully waiting for a phone call from our social worker!!!!  I’m not kidding, just look at my December:

IMG_0532[1]

My January is shaping up to look very similar, though I’m crossing my fingers that a number of days will be filled with the words SNOW DAY!  We have five built in and will still get out on May 22nd even if we use them all!  Bring on the SNOW!

IMG_0660[1]

If I do need to unwind, it usually involves a Skinny Vanilla Latte {add whip}, a date with B, attending my favorite Jamz class at the gym, or being silly with my boys. 

2012-06-04_1338821452     556871_203302703139828_1331053175_n   IMG_0516[1]   

So, I think I’m all caught-up!  I’ll try hard to come back tomorrow to post about getting’ my fitness on in 2013.  Goodness knows that after all the appetizers and cookies and holiday goodies I’ve consumed in the past week, I need to be at the gym!!!!

Do you want to link up with your resolutions?  Check out Amy’s post over at Step into Second Grade with Mrs. Lemons!  Plus, there’s a FLASH giveaway!!!!  Yay!!!

Happy, happy Sunday :)

10 comments :

Amy Howbert said...

Love all the family pics, there is nothing more precious!

Amy Howbert
Little Miss Organized
amyhowbert1@gmail.com

Leanne said...

I too want to venture into creating clipart on my own when I can't find what I need! I think you can hand draw something, then scan it to your computer, then "fix" and "color" it using a program like PS or Illustrator. I might give it a try sometime! Happy New Year!

Leanne
Mrs. Prince & Co.

Shelly Sitz said...

My son has taught me some things on Photoshop.
There is so much to learn! I know the very basics.
I would like to become more proficient in using it.

Shelly
Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

Shelly Sitz said...

I now the basics using Photoshop. I would like to
become more proficient in using it.

Shelly
Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

amy.lemons said...

LOVE it all and love YOU!

Miss Kindergarten said...

While you're at it, you should probably learn how to make your own fonts too ;) lol! love you Abby!

Erica said...

I feel the same way about clip art! I've made a few things on my computer, but I want to figure out how to make them "pretty" when I get them on the computer. I do know how to get them in the computer and how to color them and what not. I just want to learn how make my lines all smooth and pretty.

Photoshop is difficult at first, but once you figure it out, you'll love it!:-) I've been using it since high school, and I was so overwhelmed at first! But now I love it.

Mrs. Shelton said...

We have 5 built in snow days too! Last year we used 0! :( I was so sad. I'm hoping for a few too. Just wanted to say my daughter LOVES pirate booty. We have to get it at Target (about 20 minutes away) but it is her FAV. I cracked up when I saw the box! Happy New Year!

Sarah
Kindergarten Korner

Jennifer Maki said...

Hey Abby,
I'm not an expert organizer, but I thought I would share how I organized my personal stuff at home. I put everything in binders....health insurance stuff, mortgage, home improvement receipts, user guides/manuals, taxes (w2s, school receipts, etc...anything needed for filing taxes), car related (loan info, insurance paperwork, title), and personal stuff (birth certificates, passports, teaching certificate, work evaluations). I use page protectors and put more than 1 page (some have 10 pages) in each page protector. Then I used a label maker and labeled each page protector. Now, whenever I get something like a health insurance receipt in the mail, I can quickly stick it in the "health insurance" labeled page protector in the Taxes binder. It's quick and easy, and I can quickly find everything...and they are small enough to fit in our hall closet. Anyway, just thought I would share my method if you were looking for organization options :)

debbie said...

Hi,
First off, I enjoy reading your blog. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you await your new little one. He or she will be joining a very loving family.
I just wanted to throw out some suggestions to read about reading. Anything by Debbie Miller is great. She just came out with a second edition of Reading With Meaning which you can preview at Stenhouse publishers.
Donnalyn Miller's The Book Whisperer is also a great read.
Choice Literacy is a phenomenal web site with a wealth of information and videos.
Franki Sibberson's blog A Year of Reading is also worth looking into.
I hope all this helps.