Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Inside My School Bag Linky Party!

I’m fairly certain that most teachers possess the innate draw to bags.  Not purses, but school bags.  Bags to lug all our school stuff home and back.   I’ve noticed that as I’ve progressed through my short 4-year teaching career, my selection of school bags has expanded in quantity and size. 

During student teaching and my first year, I carried around this little number that my mom bought me before I even had a job.  She was cute and served her purpose, but wasn’t roomy enough.
013

So then I upgraded to this darling bag – a bridesmaid’s gifts from one of my BFFs.  I carried her for a long while, as she was a smidge roomier.  Her main problem?  She’s a sloucher and was constantly falling all over when she wasn’t stuffed to the brim.

012

That brings me to today’s go to bag -  my large utility tote from a 31 party.  Omiword.  I love this chick.  She’s made of sturdy fabric, wipes clean, and is enormous.  Which is also her downfall because I bring home waaaaaay too much stuff from school.  Also, she fits perfectly beneath my desk and maintains her shape.  Love.  My one regret? I didn’t get my name monogrammed on her.  Dang.

001

Like I said, I use every square inch of this bag, often bringing home things I *think* I will get to and then do 400 other things besides school stuff once I’m at home.  You know how that goes!

Here’s what I found inside my bag today…

My super boring, plain messenger style purse, essential for slinging across my chest for hands-free shopping.  I really need to amp it up in the purse department, but practical trumps fashion when I’m wrangling a 3-year-old and a basketful of groceries.  And, I loooooove my lunch bag (also from 31).  I got it last year as a gift from a student.  You should see our fridge in the teacher's lounge at school - no lie, these bags in every style are lined up inside!  {PS. This totally isn’t an ad for 31 bags, I just genuinely like them! Ha!}
002

Ridiculously, I bring these books back and forth to school almost every day!  Again, with the high hopes that I will have a spare second to work on lesson plans or activities for the classroom.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t, but I always have them there if the mood strikes ;)

003

I just ordered this CD, and I am so excited to use it in my room!
 
006

My Erin Condren Life Planner.  Seriously love this.  Even though it’s the size of a novel.

007          008

A large spiral notebook where I write notes and make to-do lists.  I probably could lessen the weight of the bag if I just did this all in the place for notes in my Life Planner, but I like the texture of notebook paper better for writing to-do lists.  Am I weird or what?!

009

Christmas erasers for the prize drawer in December and Halloween Dollar Spot finds for a number bond math game I’m working on for October.  Both need to be left at school, but I keep forgetting to leave them there!

005     011

And, then, in the spirit of keeping it real, there’s a big old wad of receipts, a tattered course syllabus from one of the classes I’m taking this fall, a random US magazine, Beckham’s crayons, B’s pen, and an almost empty box of thermal laminating pouches.  Because I like to laminate at home.  On occasion.

010

Do y’all carry around a bunch of stuff or just have a cute school bag you want to show off?  I’d love for you to link up with me today and show me what you’re toting around :)  Just use the button below to link up to your own post about what's inside your bag!  {Please Note: Any posts linked up that aren't pertinent to the topic will be removed.  Thanks!}



39 comments:

Liz said...

Oh my goodness! I love your tote. I sell Thirty-One so I have one of those babies in lots of colors & the thermal totes too! Love seeing our companies products being put to good use :)

Andi said...

It is soooo funny that your post is about our bags. Last night, I spent about an hour cleaning mine out because it was ridiculously heavy and I was starting to tilt to the right side! You wouldn't believe how many pens I found in there!!
I love your big 31 bag. I had no idea they came that big. Maybe that will be my next purchase? Hmmm...

debbie said...

I love my Thirty-One bag. I did put a small plastic file folder organizer from the Container Store in my bag to cut down on clutter. It leaves more room for my planner:)

Holly said...

I have three bags "going" at one time. My bag is REALLY boring...it's a Pearson bag that was a freebie with one of my teacher-husband's science kits.

Wanting to fix all that...

*Can I order that Thirty-one bag online? Or do I have to go to a party?

*Where did you get your messenger bag? I was on a hunt last year and couldn't find one I liked.

THANKS!!!!!

Hadar said...

I have the same utility tote for 31!! Love it!!

Hadar

Ashley Nichols said...

Abby - you just described my tote and all I have in it!! Stuff I mean to leave at home... and forget or stuff I mean to leave at school... and forget!! I have that exact 31 Gifts tote - except in Hot pink and I LOVE IT!! It seriously holds everything!!! :)

Ms. Gruver said...

So funny you posted this today! I totally made a post about teacher bags on Monday! I LOVE your lunch box! I might have to check those out!

Emily said...

I love the idea of using that 31 utility tote! I have one (got it on special in June for $9!) and I haven't figured the best use for it yet!

Erin said...

I have the same large utility tote too! I waited on the Erin Condren Planner and now I am dying for one!

Jamie said...

Love it! SO many teachers at my school (myself included) have the 31 lunchboxes! I just love mine :)

Erin said...

What a good idea for a Linky Party! Your first school bag, reminds me a lot of mine! And I upgraded to a larger one for the same reasons!

I have a 31 lunch tote too and our fridge is the same way! Everyone has one!

I've been looking into the large utility tote to replace my wheeled cart. The utility tote would just be so much easier to carry rather than trying to carry my cart by the handle UP the steps--which is all too tricky with all my other bags! :)

Amy said...

Abby, what does the "W" stand for? Please tell!

Booky4First said...

Hey--IF your school received sample copies of Treasures--and IF they are still lying around--it has been known for some teachers to politely take those teacher editions to their personal space (HOME)...Saves a lot of lugging back and forth!

Janine said...

I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Stop by my blog to pick it up!

Faithful in First

Terri Thornton said...

Hey, Holly! I was reading this post and saw your questions. You can order 31 online. I have been selling it for over a year now. Here's my website if you are interested. https://www.mythirtyone.com/35025/
Everyone, the October hostess special is the large tote for like $5 if you have a catalog or home party that is $500. Maybe someone would be interested in that if you like Abby's idea. I have two of these, but I have never thought of using them at school. Great idea, Abby :)

MJ @ Teaching in Heels said...

Loving those 31 bags...haven't heard of them before! Definitely checking them out to lug all my needed/not needed extra things back and forth too :)

Ms. Rachel said...

Today I rewarded myself for being a "plan-aheader" and left both bags in the car!! So crazy of me.

Look what it gets me, not being able to IMMEDIATELY photograph my junk and link up!

cute bags, love thirtyone and erin condren.

rachel

Melissa said...

Abby, I have the EXACT same bag you have (I heart 31 too). Just like you, I carry way too many things to and from school that only *sometimes* get used. Don't worry, you're not alone!!

Tanya Solano said...

Oh goodness, please share more on the thermal laminating pouches...where can I find these babies? I have an endless pile of "to laminate" if only I had the time while at school {and if the school's ancient laminator didn't take 2.5 hours to heat up}.

L.O.V.E. all the bags too!!!

Have a super-d-dooper day!

Chrissy said...

Great idea, Abby! My bag needed an emptying!

ReadWriteSing

A Middle School Survival Guide said...

I laughed when I saw your post and had to join up...

I tell the whole story on my linky above (#39)...but a few months back, I had a grad professor who asked us to introduce ourselves to the class by trading school-bags with someone we didn't know, dumping the bags out, and making generalizations about another person based on the bag/contents.

Great post-idea! You can learn a lot about a person from a bag!

Meghan Mayhew said...

This is my first Linky party, I hope I did it right! Fabulous linky party idea! Now I feel like I need to go shopping and update my teacher bag!

~Meghan

Rebecca said...

I was late to the party, but better late than never. Right? lol It's been fun seeing what others have in their bag!

Happy Weekend!

Mrs. G said...

Oh bummer, I don't have a pretty one right now, but I do so much on my computer I don't bring too much home anymore - I do love your Life Planner, hmmm, on my list for next year. . . plus we seem to have the same favorite spots. . .Leeland and Glen Arbor. . .;-)

I really enjoy your blog - I almost lost it, but happily I found it again!

Michaela said...

I love your bag! I really need to get away from my boring ole laptop bag. I've been eyeing some super cute apple fabric that I might have to transform into a fun new tote. Thanks for the inspiration :)
-Shae

mrspeterson.com

Jacy said...

Yay!! Way to support Thirty-One!! We love you Abby!! Thirty-One has been a huge blessing in my life and I'm glad you love it so much!!

Buzzin' on Cupcakes in 1st Grade! said...

Thanks for the party! I loved every minute of it!

I actually love every minute of your blog and that's why I am awarding you with a little award called the "I Heart Your Blog" award. Thank you for sharing your talent with the world! Check out my blog for more information!!! :)

Marcy @ http://busybeesandcupcakes.blogspot.com

RainbowsWithinReach said...

Abby, this is my first visit to your blog. Thanks so much for the opportunity to introduce myself to a much wider audience.

The timing & subject matter of your linkie is totally perfect, as I had just returned from one of my author/illustrator junkets & its ALL about the bag(s)!!!!!

Debbie Clement

Suzy Brooks said...

Funny I'm reading your post - as I just bought my Dream Bag - it's a hot red American Tourister rolling suitcase with pockets galore. I have always lugged my laptop back and forth, along with work and many of the requisite weigh-me-downs that never leave the bag. My back ended up suffering for it, so years ago I bought a cheap rolling duffel. Much to my dismay (not), the handle fell off and I was forced (inspired) to buy a new one. This new one is better than the one I had dreamt about and I couldn't imagine going anywhere without it. Versatile, too - I can use it for workshops and conferences where I present and for trips hither-and-yon where I need a carry-on sized piece of luggage.

Thanks for the smile this morning!
Suzy

Katie said...

That second bag must be from someone with really good taste!!! Your comment on notebook paper was perfect! Can we do something next weekend?

Jolene said...

I love Thirty-One! MY sister sells it and I actually hosted a party tonight! Because of this month's specials, I earned double hostess points and earned $500+ of free products, of which some will be used for carting school stuff around!! Everyone should host a party!

Lindsey W said...

Great bags! I know I'm late but I wanted to link up with my bags. Better late than never!
-Lindsey
http://whytewater.blogspot.com/2011/09/inside-my-school-bag.html

Em @ Bunch of Scrap said...

I am late too but wanted to join the party. Here is my bag http://www.bunchofscrap.com/2011/10/what-is-in-my-teacher-bag-and-reveal.html I just became a consultant of Thirty-One, I LOVE their bags!

Mrs. Zrihen said...

OMG! I can't believe I just found this party!!!!!!
I can't wait to get back home (I've been on a 2 week vacay out of the country - which explains why I missed this) to take pics of my bag and join this party!!!! What a great Idea! I too changed bags over the past 4 years. I always carried things I hoped I'd get to and never did :)

Will post mine Monday!!!!!

❤ Mor ❤
A Teacher's Treasure

Mrs. Zrihen said...

I herby bestow the "I Heart Your Blog Award" :) come grab it! You deserve it!

❤ Mor ❤
A Teacher's Treasure

Mrs. Zrihen said...

oh no :( I just posted mine but you closed the linky party :(

http://www.ateacherstreasure.com/2011/10/treasured-bag-teachers-bag.html

❤ Mor ❤
A Teacher's Treasure

Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) said...

I totally just found this post, but I can't link anymore to it...but I did one too! I love Linky Parties! :) and what fun one!
http://theteacherscauldron.blogspot.com/

Inspirationally Positive! said...

I sell Thirty-One, and still have yet to book a party. Christmas is coming up and I know everyone would like a new thirty one tote. E-mail me at mcdineh1@gmail.com or join me on my blog for special offers.

rtr ullash said...

Review of the new 3 day assault pack from Condor Outdoor.
This miltary pack uses the Amazing A-Tacs camouflage.
A-tacs is the best camo pattern we've ever seen. Unlike current digital camo,
atacs actually allows you to stay hidden. It's even better than multicam.
The A-tacs assault pack is a great tactical backpack for the price.



camouflage backpack
camouflage duffel bag
camouflage flask
camouflage knives
camouflage tote bag