Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Apple Activities for Spelling and Reading

 

We’ve been doing some apple-themed activities this week, in celebration of Johnny Appleseed’s birthday.  There are a gobzillion cutie  activities about apples out there right now, including Cara’s, Rachelle’s, and Leslie Ann’s (those caramel apples are to die for!!!). 

Our focus in Treasures this week is main idea and details, so after we read Johnny Appleseed by Steven Kellogg, we identified the main idea and the students provided me with the details. 

029

Then, the kiddos made a mini-Johnny that included the main idea and one supporting detail.  Of course, they all chose either “He loved animals” or “He loved apples” as their detail! 

030031

If you’d like the templates for this activity, click HERE

We also sorted our spelling words with the activity below, and then made an “apple monster,” as my kiddos call it.

032

The activity is adaptable for any spelling list, or could be supplemented to review previous spelling patterns.  We’re working on short /o/o this week, so I had the kids write –op, –ot, and –og in each of the baskets.  Then, I gave them a little formative assessment and had them write the spelling words in the apple cut-outs as I dictated them.  Finally, they sorted them according to rime.   Click the picture below to download the activity and the templates for the apple monster :)

Apples

Amen that tomorrow is Thursday!  That means that 48 hours from now it’ll be Friday.  And, oh my how I need a weekend!!!!!  Have an apple-solutely great day ;)  I couldn’t resist!

18 comments :

Team Carroll said...

Love it ALL, my sweet friend!!! Those "apple monsters" will SO be made in my classroom tomorrow and I'm LOVIN' those Johnny Appleseeds :) Trying to figure out how I can fit those in tomorrow, too!!! And your anchor chart. Girl.friend. KILLING me with your artistic talent. I LOVE! Hugs!!

XOXO.
Cara :)

Rachelle said...

I'm loving these ideas!!!! I added it on the list of apples ideas on my blog! Thanks for the shout out Abby!!!! I {heart} you and your blog!
-Rachelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Gladys said...

LOVE your Johnny Appleseed! So cute!

Miss Reeve said...

Thanks for being so inspiring! I gave you a Versatile Blogger Award!!! Check it out @ The Kinder Life!!! Have a great night!

Sarah Paul said...

I love everything you do! You are so creative and artistic. Thanks for sharing!
~Sarah
http://snippetsbysarah.blogspot.com/

Kristan L. King said...

Abby,

Your charts & such are so cute! Thanks for the ideas/downloads.

I teach 1st too & Treasures also. Last year was our first year implementing...this year I know more about what to keep & cut. Thanks for reminders about anchor charts - made one for Main Idea & Details today, can't wait to add some more.

Keep blogging & thanks for sharing!
~Kristan

Ms. Shott said...

Thank you for sharing all your wonderful apple ideas! I am also teaching apples/Johnny Appleseed this week and I cant wait to use some of your ideas! (esp the chart with johnny appleseed facts)

Thanks a million!

http://2ndgradestars.blogspot.com

Lynda said...

I LOVE all of your ideas ... You've got me wanting to leave retirement and go back to the classroom! I want to teach and create again!

Mrs. Moran said...

I just shared this on my blog. I LOVE how creative you are. Thanks for the ideas!

Kimberly
1st in Maine

Amber Unger said...

Oh, the activities I/we can do with your freebie template. Thank you!

Kreative in Kinder said...

Love it! This is great. Thanks for the freebie!
<>< Crystal

Sue said...

I love your charts....do you really draw these amazing charts in front of the children. Mine never look so wonderful.....
I gave you two awards on my blog. Please stop by and see.
:) sue
http://theverybusykindergarten.blogspot.com/

Happily Ever After in 1st! said...

Hello! I am absolutely in LOVE with your blog! You have really inspired me...I just created my own, please follow me at http://happilyeverafterin1st.blogspot.com
Thanks for all you do!

Grade ONEderful said...

Hi Abby,
I’ve nominated your blog for an award! Visit the link below to copy/paste the Blog on Fire button. Share seven things about yourself and pass the award along to some "hot" blogs you follow. Congrats and Happy October!
❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful

Debbie said...

As always... adorable! I love that all of your creations can be used in my classroom the very next day! NO tweaking required... they are always just PERFECT!

You are a true inspiration... which is why you are receiving the new... I HEART YOUR BLOG AWARD.

Thanks for sharing your talents with the rest of us! You are AMAZING!!!

To see the award post and accept it, stop by my blog AWARDS PAGE at: http://candauscrew.blogspot.com/p/i-heart-your-blog-award.html

Debbie

Amanda said...

Love all the sweet apple ideas! I'm passing on the Versatile Blogger Award to you because I think your blog is amazing! Cheers!

Amanda
First Grade Garden

Gene Patent News said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

Mrs.Castor's Classy Class said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I so appreciate everyone who takes the time to share their work with everyone else! I'm very excited to teach this lesson for my Field Experience!