Friday, April 1, 2011

Astronauts Abound! {space activities for 1st grade}

This week I began a unit with my kididdles to kick off our study of space, which will continue into next week. Since space is such a broad topic, I decided to break it into more manageable components.  Thus, astronauts this week and outerspace-ish things next. 

We read lots and lots about astronauts all week, and the kids were absolutely fascinated by...I bet you can guess...THE ASTONAUT POTTY!!!  Every day when we'd discussed all that we'd learned, astronaut *poop* was a hot topic!  A vacuum that sucks away waste as you go?!  TOO COOL. 
We also completed astronaut applications and cut-out astronauts...

Here's our tree map about astronauts...

Yesterday, the kids started the day with a Mystery Box activity...

Lo and behold, not a one of them guessed what was in the box!  Much to their surprise, it was *astronaut ice cream*!!!!  {FYI: Astronaut ice cream is freeze dried ice cream.  You can usually buy it at specialty toy stores, Children's Museum giftshops, or online for cheap! You only need 3-4 packages to let each student sample a taste.}

Here's what it looks like...

We each ate a scoop of Rocky Road, too, and then graphed our favs.  I agreed with the kiddos - regular is WAY better! 



Today, the kids combined their knowledge to create a fact book.  They turned out *darling.*  And, stop the world, they actually try harder when you give them colored pencils!  I don't that I've ever seen them be so detailed in their work.  Dar-to-the-ling ;)


This sassy little astronaut chick with her hoop earrings cracks me right up!

One activity, that we didn't get to this week, is a space ship glyph.  I plan to let them do it for morning work next week though, since it'll transition us right into a more indepth study of the planets and moon. 

If you're interested in purchasing these activities (and more!), I have uploaded a 26 page printable to TpT for $4.50.  You can buy it HERE. 
{PS.  I also made a statement for my Wildcats on the door to my room!!!  There were a select few UConn fans who were none too pleased to enter the room every day!}

20 comments:

Amy said...

Love astronaut icecream! My boys are completely into astronauts so I need to get this unit for summer fun!

Amy
totalteachaholic.blogspot.com

Mrs. Lochridge said...

Kids love studying space!! Nevada standards don't cover space until 2nd grade...so, I sure miss teaching the subject. But when I did, we LOVED astronaut ice cream. Strange, but delish!! We also had Tang...cause that's what they drank in outer space back in 1965.

First Grade Factory

Claire Kiefer said...

You are clearly such a good teacher! I can tell that you put so much thought & effort into your lesson plans. It's a little different with my age group (high schoolers), but still inspiring me to spend more time on my curriculum . . . clearly it pays off. I'm sure your kiddos were excited to learn about astronauts, cause you obviously made it really fun for them. :)

Lindsey said...

darling, darling, darling! i love it all:)

you are so creative!

Miss Marcy said...

This unit looks so cute! I know my class is going to love it!

Meghan Hamlin said...

Love your darling ideas! Thanks for sharing - you're an inspiration to us all!
But I do not like your UK sign ... GO BUTLER! :)

Rachelle said...

I am so sad that Utah Standards don't include space in 1st grade {I think it's in 3rd grade}, but I still love it enough to buy it! :)

You're stuff is ad.or.able!

-Rachelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

So thankful for this!! We are doing space next week and I always have a tough time coming up with stuff. Thank you!!

Frogs, Bees, & Under the Seas said...

Just wanted to let you know that we featured this unit on our post today. Hope that's ok. :)

LongIslandTeacher said...

Love that you included the ice cream! What a great lesson..love love love it!

Krista
http://thelifeofalongislandteacher.blogspot.com/

Erica Bohrer said...

Adorable!

Erica Bohrer's First Grade

Sue said...

I love your ice cream idea....I generally just pass it out as a treat. I love how you made it into a lesson. I just finished my space unit as well. I have a new blog so I just posted a couple of pictures for now. I have a three day event....Astronaut Adventure Days....maybe someday I write it up in a unit.
http://theverybusykindergarten.blogspot.com/search/label/Space%20Unit

Kerri and Lindsay said...

LOVE THIS!! It makes me wish there were even more days in the school year, so I could teach all of this cute stuff! You are fantabulous!
Kerri B
teacherbitsandbobs.blogspot.com

Mrs. Krol said...

I purchased your Amazing Astronaut Activities unit and we are doing the activities this week. I was already covering space and was thrilled to find this fun unit on astronauts! My class is loving it!

Katie Mense said...

Going to order some astronaut ice cream right now for our space unit that we will be doing in a couple of weeks!! LOVE♥!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
~Katie

littlekinderwarriors.blogspot.com

Booky4First said...

I bought your Astronauts set and used the rocket glyph today. We had just finished our dreaded achievement tests and this was a welcome relief! I pulled up your pages I was using and using my projector "projected" it on my whiteboard. I have a SMARTslate and it worked beautifully to model! (I know you will have a SMARTboard next year--you'll love it.

Thanks for such great plans and ideas!

GianneCurry said...

New follower here at www.cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com I love the beautiful things you do!

Gianne

Justy Lewis said...

I bought your unit last night-Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas! I can't wait to watch my kindergarten friends taste the Astronaut Ice Cream!!! Please follow me at

http://confessionsofakteacher.blogspot.com I gave you a shout out!!! :)

Mrs. F said...

What cute ideas! we just started our solar system unit last week and I look forward to using your ideas. thanks for sharing!!
-Allyson
stickersandstars.blogspot.com

Patty said...

Love your ideas!! I also proudly have Kentucky signs on my door!! Go Big Blue!!
Patty
Paducah, KY