Wednesday, February 23, 2011

{Wizard of Oz Unit Day 2 + Cloud People}

We had a field trip today, so our time spent working with the ol' Wiz was pretty short. 

However, we did manage to ...

Graph our favorite characters and analyze the data...
Corresponding recording/analyzing sheets can be purchased HERE

Discuss the friendships developed by the characters on their journey to Oz, and create a chart of good friend qualities...


And write about which friend we'd take with us on our own journey to Oz...


Also, I had about a dozen kids spend recess yesterday working on a Wizard of Oz play to put on on Friday.  This is what truly inspires me to teach - seeing my kididdles get excited is the BEST!  They made costumes from paper out of the recycling bin.   It was super adorable.  We actually had to "cut" one student out of her costume because they'd taped her into it too tight.  Loves. 



If you'd like to see more of the unit, check out Day 1 HERE.

If you'd like to purchase these activities for use in your own classroom at Teachers Pay Teachers, click HERE

* * * * *

In other news, last week we did a whole grade level weather unit where each teacher taught one component of weather.  I taught about clouds.  I made these cute little cloud people to show the varying heights and sizes, and then the students helped me label them after we read a book about clouds. 
My baby is super sick, so I don't know if I'll be posting anything more detailed than my unit this week :( 

Happy Hump Day!

14 comments :

Michelle said...

So cute Abby! Love it. Makes me want to totally scrap one our units and go to OZ! Love your clouds too. Cuteness x 100!! I'm all about when cute meets curriculum. I hope Becks is better soon. Mine just had to have tubes and adenoids out. Darn preschool germs! Hope it passes quickly.
Michelle
fabulousinfirst.blogspot.com

Mrs. Saoud said...

I am clicking my ruby reds in hopes to be transported into your class for a lesson. Magical!!

Cheryl from Mrs Saouds Class

Kristina said...

love those little clouds! hope your little one is feeling better soon!

Gladys said...

Adorable! I'm thinking of going with your cute Oz unit
..hmm..maybe during ESL? I hope your little one feels better soon...I know how hard it is to have them sick...poor sweetie pie! Warm hugs are being sent your way!

-Gladys
http://teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com

mireya aguirre said...

Love your cute clouds!!! I will have to use this for next year! Thanks for sharing and I hope your little one feels better soon!!!

Mireya
yayaagu@aol.com

omnifox said...

I love this unit!! One day when I am a teacher I plan on using this. It looks lik so much fun! My daughter asked me if she could go to your class for school. (She is four) :) Thank you so much for sharing this!!! Hope your baby feels better.

Jennifer

Amanda said...

Abby! I love how you made your graph so OZ-tastic! SO CUTE! Haha! You can pretty much expect my daily nods of approval for the duration of this unit. Just a friendly fyi.

Team Carroll said...

My sweet friend...LOVE it all!!! Sad to hear sweet Becks is under the weather :( SPeaking of weather, I'm LOVIN' those cloud people! Definitely "stealing" that for next year!!! LOVE!!

Amber said...

You are so creative!!! Thank you for sharing. :)

Rachelle said...

I keep thinking to myself...

Self...how can I fit this in? Should I knock out my time unit or my money unit to do the Wizard of Oz....hahah, but really!!!1 I want to fit it in this year!!!! I <3 it!

Jenn Bates said...

Adorable! And those cloud people are the cutest! I hope Becks is feeling better soon! Poor baby. Sick kids are the worst!
Jenn
http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

I think that you have STYLE!!! So I'm giving you the Stylish Award!!

Randi said...

I think your stuff is super cute! I have learned so much from your blog! I just started my own...a visit would be lovely :)

Randi said...

I have learned so much from your blog! Everything you do is super cute! I just started my own blog...a visit would be lovely :)

http://teachitwithclass.blogspot.com/